Saturday, September 26, 2015

Great Leadership Begins With Great Focus, Wake up with a purpose


This has been an ever-growing question of mine, how can I use the majority of my day for good and stay focused on the tasks that will lead to my goals. This has become harder to accomplish in the distraction-ridden world we live in today. I have heard the average adult is distracted once every three minutes; this was frightening to me as a self studied psychology nerd I know we need around 15 minutes just to get into a flow state, a flow state allows us the most focus and is necessary for us to do our best work. Hopefully my insight along with a few tips and techniques will help you get more out of your day.

Wake Up With A Purpose
This idea is extremely simple yet tremendously effective. Think about it like this, imagine you were walking in your city and were in a residential area. Passing a construction site a team of workers is in the beginning phase of building a house. You being interested if the new house would stick to the older antique look the surrounding houses held or did the owner’s request the build look more modern and up to date? Seeing the building process was at a stand still you asked this question to the team lead. To your astonishment he states, “We will worry about what the house looks like when we are finishing up, right now we have the important job of getting this house built. Please leave us alone we are in a hurry.”
          I’m sure like me you would automatically come to the conclusion that house is going to fail, the team has no focus on the end goal, they do not see it clearly and without a clear defined vision, they will just end up adding brick after brick aimlessly until their walls fall over.
           
How To Wake Up With A Purpose (action plan)
I ask that you give me 21 days of commitment on this next action, many psychologist believe after 21 days a behavior turns into a habit and if you can build the following habit you will see tremendous change in your life for the better.
            I am asking you get up 45-60 minutes earlier than you normally do, so instead of waking up in a hurry. The key is to not start the day running around juggling coffee, breakfast, and beginning your day in frenzy. Try this instead, wake up with time to sit back and really think about a handful of things that will make this day a success, for me I look at my goals and say what things can I do today that will get me one step closer to my goals. This time of quiet is also a great time to prepare for the manic rush of the day, create a few actions you can use when distractions come up that draw you away from being focused. These can be very simple but are always very powerful in the long run. For instance if you are tethered to your cell phone, checking updates every 3 minutes make it a point to only check you phone every half hour, after that becomes tolerable extend it to 45 minutes and continue pushing that time until you find the sweet spot that works for you.
           You say you have trouble getting up with energy? Give this a try, the moment your alarm goes off do not push the snooze button but actually jump out of bed in a way that would startle your spouse, it may sound a bit crazy but who wants to be normal anyway, not me! If you still find yourself staying in bed try this last resort effort I promise it will help you leave your warm comfy bed in a hurry, get about a mason jar worth of marbles and put them in the freezer, ask your spouse or roommate to dump them on your bed under your blankets in the morning you wish to get up, that nice warm comfy bed will no longer be an option allowing you to get up and with a bit of pep.

I could write so much more on this subject, I really believe it is a key to sucess, and I will write more on this topic in the future. For now I want to honor the teachings from Michael Hyatt and keep my post around 500 words even though I busted that a while ago, sorry Michael.

Question
What are some morning rituals you’ve used and seen improvements in you life from? How do you feel about the ice-cold marble wake up call? I promise your get out of bed energized!

“See You At The Top”
Tom McConnell
TomMcConnell@mentalgiantsnutrition.com

As always a video by Eddie Pinero. Check out his website YourWorldWithin, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment